Global Experiences Internships in New York City
Delve into a once-in-a-lifetime adventure with a customized internship in New York City with Global Experiences. Follow in the footsteps of over 7,000 alumni since 2001 who are now established in their industry! Gain professional work experience while living in the heart of Manhattan for a 8 or 12 weeks making new friends and establishing yourself in the city that never sleeps.
A full-time in-country American Councils staff person oversees the professional and intercultural program, assists participants in administrative and personal matters, and works closely with the host organization to ensure that participants are engaged in meaningful projects. The OPIT program draws on an extensive network of community partners, expert regional staff, and overseas resources developed by American Councils over the years.
New York City is an international hub for fashion, finance, media, and many other opportunities. An internship with Global Experiences will put you the middle of it all and we get to know you and match you up with an extensive employer database built up over the years.
What to Expect from your New York Internship Program
An internship in New York City is a great way to improve your resume. Whether your goal is to land your dream fashion internship or networking as an intern for an advertising executive to everything in-between, NYC is the place to hone your skills and earn your stripes.
The NYC internship program is competitive and each participant that makes it through the selection process works one-on-one with the advising team, as they are guided through an award winning career readiness program, and prepare for their interview with a customized internship placement matched to your career goals and personal strengths.
The New York team balances just the right amount of group and individual support through cultural and social programming, networking opportunities, and career development. Your Location Coordinators live permanently in the city and provide an insider-level connection to the culture, events, what’s hot and what’s not, as well as 24/7 emergency support. During the summer, we also have Resident Assistants that join us from our large alumni community and provide mentoring and pastoral care throughout the program.
Interns from outside the United States is required to travel on the J-1 Visa. This visa has a cost that is separate from the program tuition.
Guaranteed Custom Internship Placement
At Global Experiences, we guarantee an internship to all participants accepted into our internship programs. Admission to the program is based on a combination of relevant college or university level course work, relevant work experience and an assessment of maturity and readiness for a professional abroad experience.
We work with applicants on a one-to-one basis to understand their skills, talents, and expectations. By getting to know your academic background, career objectives, and overall expectations for your time in New York City, we are able to place you in a dynamic work environment providing real-world work experience.
Once a good match is found, all interns will interview by phone or skype with their supervisor before the placement is confirmed. When you arrive on location and you start at your internship we will help support you and ensure you make the most of your placement including on-site check-ins and coaching.
Global Career Readiness Program
Included in all the programs is the award winning Global Career Readiness Program that combines assessment, coaching, and experiences to connect students academic experience with their professional ambitions. We take a Strengths based approach and focus on helping every participant meet their potential and find a career their love.
Global Career Readiness Program
- CliftonStrengthsFinder® Assessment
- On-on One Career Strengths Coaching
- Career Webinar Series
- Goal Setting and Career planning
- Interview preparation
- On-Site Career Seminars and Networking Event
- One Day Global Career Workshop
- Leadership Training and Recruitment Opportunities
Your Experience Advisor
Global Experiences is built by a team of passionate and experienced travelers, who love’s working with our participants to help them get ready for both living and interning abroad. We know that it is a big step to move to an unfamiliar city, make new friends, and explore a unique culture, all while going to work every day. This is where your program advisor and location coordinator will become your new travel experience advisors, taking care of you from the day you join the program, to the day you head home.
Your advisor will help you prepare for what will become the most life changing experience that you may ever have, including helping you navigate through travel bookings, visa requirements, academic credit and financing questions, as well as any nerves you have about living in a new city. We will help you get to know the rest of the program group so you’ll have friends as soon as you arrive on location, and get a head start on weekend travel planning.
Housing in New York City
The Global Experiences Internship Program in New York includes furnished housing in Manhattan. Interns in New York will live in a shared room within a student residence in central Manhattan, located on either the Upper East or Upper west Side of Central Park.
All of the Global Experiences participants will be located within this residence and will be walking distance to public transportation, shops, restaurants, and nightlife.
We get to know you throughout your pre-departure process and take the time to match you with a compatible roommate. You will get to know your program group before you arrive so you can get to know your new friends and make plans for your summer or semester as an Intern in New York.
Included in your program are many essential travel services to help your experience be as easy as possible so you an focus on enjoying your new home and rocking your internship.
- ravel and Medical Insurance
- J1 VISA support
- 24/7 Emergency support on location
- Visa processing support
- Partnership with STA Travel for discounted and group flights
- Social and weekend events on location
- Closed Facebook Groups for every start date so you can get to know your new friends and make plan travels before you arrive
On-Site Programs Team
Global Experiences program team in Stockholm are lead by qualified staff that is trained and supervised by our head office in Annapolis, Maryland, USA.
Your program coordinator on location will get to know you before you depart and will meet you on arrival in your new home. As a local of the city, all of our location staff are experienced in providing hands-on support to new visitors to the city. There can be lots of adjustments and culture shock when you first arrive, but we are more than ready to help you feel comfortable and get to know the amazing new culture in your new city. You will have an outline of events and experiences to take part in as well as plenty of opportunities to give your career skills an extra boost so you come home not just as a world traveler, but also ready to take a big step forward in your journey to finding a career you love.
Start your journey today.
- Personalized Attention: We work with you on a personal level to understand your career interests and internship goals. Starting from the first phone call to the end of your internship, we offer you individualized support to give you all the resources you
- Centralized Housing: You’ll be living in the heart of Manhattan with other Global Experiences participants in a student-residence close to shopping, public transportation, and nightlife.
- Professional Development: Through one-on-one coaching and webinars, we assist you in improving in your professional documents, prepare you for an interview with a potential employer, establish internship goals, and discuss your strengths.
- Local Staff and Social Events: Our Location Coordinator lives in NYC year-round and provide interns with an insider’s glimpse of New York City. The Location Coordinator is there to provide 24/7 emergency support and host all of the interns on a range of s
- Guaranteed Internship: That means not having to worry about your future plans for the summer, fall, or spring or the quality of the internship. With an internship with Global Experiences we will work on your behalf to find a high-quality internship that f